If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


Wharton County Abstract Company

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

Wharton County Abstract Company
 Wharton Wharton County Texas

Wharton County Abstract Company

Attorney William S. "Billie" Brooks founded this abstract firm in 1890. He was assisted by Daisy Speed, who made the original hand-written entries in the tract books. Brooks was joined in 1899 by his law partner Henry A. Cline. Other prominent associates of the firm include several member of the Cline family and L. Z. Moreland, who worked here from 1923 to 1974. A secretary, Ruth Brazzil, later served as a special justice of the Texas Supreme Court in a celebrated case involving the Woodmen of The World.

212 N. Resident St. Wharton, Texas

Wharton County

Year Erected: 1981

Marker Type: 18" x 28"

Wharton County Markers

  <<  1 2 3 4 5 6  >> 

Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery


The Danish Folk Society obtained a land option from the Texas Land and Cattle Company and helped 93 Danish families from the midwest establish the Danevang Cooperative Settlement here in the early 1
Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Boling


This area was called Floyd's Lane prior to the advent of the New York, Texas & Mexican Railway in 1900. Named for the Bolling family of Virginia, the town name was misspelled when citizens appli
Boling

Burr Albert Harrison Plantation House


Burr Albert Harrison (1808-1881) moved to Wharton County in 1859 and established one of the largest plantations in the area. A Civil War veteran, Harrison built this house during the 1860s. In 1
Burr Albert Harrison Plantation House

Captain W. E. Heard Home


Captain W. E. Heard Home

City of Wharton


The town of Wharton was founded as the seat of Wharton County in April 1846. Land for a courthouse, named Monterey Square, was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. A
City of Wharton

Community of Egypt


One of most historic towns in county. Named following the drouth of 1827, when pioneers of Stephen F. Austin's colony came to this fertile region to obtain corn. They called it "Goin down into
Community of Egypt

Culp Krueger


Site of Capitol of Texas September 8, 1962. Operation Home Town Program for Progress Small Towns of Texas. Culp Kreuger, Governor
Culp Krueger

Danevang


The first successful Danish community in Texas. Established in 1894 on a portion of 25,000 acres secured through option by Danish Folk Society from Texas Land and Cattle Company. Most immig
Danevang

El Campo Library Building


The El Campo Library Association began the city's first library in 1902. A public library opened at the downtown fire station in 1927. After a branch of the Wharton County Library was establish
El Campo Library Building

El Campo


Begun as a camp on the New York, Texas, and Mexican Railroad in 1882, El Campo initially was known as Prairie Switch and served as a supply and shipping center for area ranchers. By the 1890s th
El Campo

Old Wharton County Postcards