If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant
 Raymondville Willacy County Texas

San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant

The largest land grant in South Texas, the San Juan de Carrictios lands were awarded to Don Jose Narciso Cavazos in 1792 by the King of Spain. Comprising over one-half million acres, the grant included virtually all of present Williacy County, including the sites of the towns of Sebastian, Lyford, Raymondville, Lasara, San Perlita, and Port Mansfield. In 1793 Cavazos took formal possession of the land grant seven miles north of this site. Most of the grant was later sold by Cavazos' heirs, although some descendants still live within its boundaries. (1988)

SH 186, E of Raymondville Raymondville, Texas

Willacy County

Year Erected: 1988

Marker Type: 18" x 28"

Willacy County Markers

  <<  1 2  >> 

Edward Burleson Raymond


Founder of Raymondville. Born in a log house on Congress Avenue, Austin, son of Republic of Texas lawyer and newspaperman N. C. Raymond and wife Lucinda (Riggs), E. B. Raymond came on horseback to Sou
Edward Burleson Raymond

First Baptist Church of Lyford


Lyford's Baptists began meeting for worship services about 1909, when the Rev. S. F. Marsh started traveling from Harlingen once a month to preach. Lyford Baptists founded the First Baptist Church in
First Baptist Church of Lyford

First Baptist Church of Raymondville


This congregation traces its history to 1907, when services were held in a two-story home on 7th Street shared with other denominations. The First Baptist Church was officially organized in 1914. T
First Baptist Church of Raymondville

Great Salt Lake


Here has existed since the first Spanish chronicler traversed the region, A great salt lake which supplied all northern Mexico with salt. (1936)
Great Salt Lake

Lasara


Formed out of the San Juan Carricitos Spanish land grant, the townsite of Lasara was developed in 1926 by W. A. Harding and Lamar Gill. The names of their wives, Laura Harding and Sara Gill, were comb
Lasara

Lyford


Before the arrival of the railroad, this area was a part of the King Ranch known as "Como se LLama". Lyford was developed in 1907 by executives of the Rock Island Railroad and named for attorney Will
Lyford

Old Lyford High School Building


Designed by the architectural firm of Smith and Kelly of Galveston, this building was constructed in1923 for the high school students of Lyford and surrounding communities. The structure is a reminder
Old Lyford High School Building

Port Mansfield


INSCRIPTION: Port Mansfield
Port Mansfield

San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant


The largest land grant in South Texas, the San Juan de Carrictios lands were awarded to Don Jose Narciso Cavazos in 1792 by the King of Spain. Comprising over one-half million acres, the grant include
San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant

San Perlita, "Pearl of the Valley"


Part of the Carricitos land grant issued in 1790 by the King of Spain to Jose Narcisso Cavozos, this agricultural community and the surroundings farmland were developed soon after the Missiouri Pacif
San Perlita,

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers