If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


Koehler's Saloon And Store

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

Koehler's Saloon And Store
 Ft. Stockton Pecos County Texas

Koehler's Saloon and Store

Built 1870's of field stone. Herman Koehler in 1884 opened saloon at one end, general store and bank at other. Later second story was added. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.

Spring Dr. at Rooney Park Ft. Stockton, Texas

Pecos County

Year Erected: 1966

Marker Type: Medallion & Plate

Pecos County Markers

  <<  1 2 3  >> 

Annie Riggs Hotel


Fort Stockton's first hotel of significance. Built 1900. Adobe, with "gingerbread" trim. Large verandas, dining room, parlors, guest rooms. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Annie Riggs Hotel

Courthouse, Jail and Zero Stone


Courthouse and jail. Built 1883 of native sandstone. Nearby Zero Stone place in 1859 as first reference point of local surveys. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1966,
Courthouse, Jail and Zero Stone

First Telephone Exchange


The Pecos County commissioners authorized E. W. Bennett (1858-1933) to establish Ft. Stockton's First Telephone service in May 1909. The switchboard, operated by Bennett's daughter, Zetta, was l
First Telephone Exchange

Fort Stockton Guard House


Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the civil war and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled
Fort Stockton Guard House

Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters


When Fort Stockton was rebuilt in 1867 to protect the route to El Paso, seven homes were erected for officers' families. Built with rock foundations and thick adobe walls, the structures faced t
Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters

Fort Stockton, C.S.A.


After federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico
Fort Stockton, C.S.A.

Grey Mule Saloon


Part of Old Fort Stockton; built in 1880's. Hangout for cowboys and hotel guests. Later a store and post office. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
Grey Mule Saloon

Horse Head Crossing on the Pecos River


Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico in 1850 John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name "
Horse Head Crossing on the Pecos River

Horsehead Crossing


Famed ford of the Pecos River, named for abundance of horse and mule skulls lining the banks in the 19th century. Many water-starved animals, stolen in Mexico by Indians and driven along the Com
Horsehead Crossing

Hovey School


About 1910 a railroad stop named Hovey was established about 40 miles west of here on the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. By 1913 Hovey contained a depot, post office/general store, an
Hovey School

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers