If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


Robert And Marie Stubbs House

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

Robert And Marie Stubbs House
 Dallas Dallas County Texas

Robert and Marie Stubbs House

Mississippi native Robert Campbell Stubbs (1869-1927) moved to Dallas in 1887 and established a paving business with his father, George W. Stubbs. In 1897, R. C. Stubbs married Marie M. Henke (d. 1957) of Berlin, Germany. Dallas' economic growth and the coming of the automobile age after the turn of the 20th century led to a great demand for Stubbs' expertise in modern paving techniques. By 1922, he had patented vibrolithic paving and was noted as one of the chief authorities on paving in the United States. His business success led to the construction of this house in the fashionable Swiss Avenue neighborhood. Completed in 1926, the Stubbs House may have been the work of Dallas architect Otto H. Lang. The design drew upon features of England's Tudor manor houses, a style popular in American residential architecture between World Wars I and II. Hallmark features of the style, including the steeply pitched roof, half-timbered gables, distinctive chimneys and low pointed-arch entry, are present in the house, which was home to Robert and Marie Stubbs and their two children. A separate two-story garage and staff quarters also reflects Tudor characteristics. Following R. C. Stubbs' death just one year after the house was completed, Marie continued to live and entertain here until 1940. The house subsequently was converted into apartments, but was returned to single-family use in the 1970s. Prominently sited at the head of Swiss Avenue, the Stubbs House is a significant part of Dallas' architectural history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001

6243 La Vista Dallas, Texas

Dallas County

Year Erected: 2001

Marker Type: 27 in x 42 in

Dallas County Markers

  <<  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  >> 

Addison State Bank


This building was completed in 1913 to house the Addison State Bank, which had been organized the previous year to serve the new railroad community of Addison. After the bank's demise in 1926, the bri
Addison State Bank

Adolphus Hotel


Dallas businessmen persuaded Adlophus Busch (1839-1913), co-founder of the Anheuser Busch Brewing Co., to build the original section of this Hotel in 1911-1912. Constructed on the site of the 1880s D
Adolphus Hotel

Aldredge House


West Texas rancher William J. Lewis, a native of Maryland, and his wife Willie (Newberry) of Dallas had this residence constructed in 1915-17. Designed by architects Hal Thompson and Marion Fooshee,
Aldredge House

Alexander Mansion


Setting for glittering social life in early 20th century. Built 1906 on most remote edge of Dallas by a businessman, C.H. Alexander, at a cost of $125,000. Acquired 1930 by the Dallas Woman's Forum;
Alexander Mansion

Ambassador (Park) Hotel


Built in 1905 as city's first suburban luxury hotel. By first public park. In 1955 became first retirement hotel. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark -- 1965
Ambassador (Park) Hotel

Anderson Family Cemetery


Opened with burials of William (1785?-1858) and Celia (Lair) Anderson (1791?-1859), Kentuckians who lived on Missouri frontier before following to Dallas County a son, John Lair Anderson (1819-85), a
Anderson Family Cemetery

Baptist Standard


The history of this denominational publication dates to 1888, when Lewis Holland and John H. Boyet founded "The Baptist News" in Fannin County. It moved to Dallas in 1889, and its name cnaged to "The
Baptist Standard

Sam Bass Train Robbery


Sam Bass -- with Seab Barnes, Hank Underwood, "Arkansas" Johnson, and Frank Jackson -- held up a Texas & Pacific train here, April 10, 1878. They took $152, but missed hidden shipment of $30,000. In
Sam Bass Train Robbery

A. H. Belo House


Prominent newspaper publisher Alfred Horatio Belo (1839-1901) was born in North Carolina. He attained the rank of colonel in the Confederate army and came to Texas at the close of the Civil War (1861-
A. H. Belo House

A. H. Belo Corporation


A.H. Belo Corporation traces its roots to a small company that founded the Galveston "Daily News" on April 11, 1842. The company began publishing the "Texas Almanac" in 1857. Alfred Horatio Belo (1
A. H. Belo Corporation

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers