If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


The Amanda Burks School

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

The Amanda Burks School
 Cotulla La Salle County Texas

The Amanda Burks School

Amanda (Nite) Burks (1841-1931) and her husband William Franklin Burks (d. 1877) moved their ranching operation to present-day La Salle County in 1876. After her husband's death, Amanda continued to run the ranch for over fifty years. Like many early residents of the area, Amanda believed in the importance of education. A frame building served the educational needs of Cotulla soon after the town was founded in 1882. A two-story brick structure was built in 1909. It was renamed in honor of Amanda Burks shortly before her death in 1931. A new Amanda Burks School was built in 1953.

Center and Tilden St. Cotulla, Texas

La Salle County

Year Erected: 1982

Marker Type: 18" x 28"

La Salle County Markers

  <<  1 2  >> 

The Amanda Burks School


Amanda (Nite) Burks (1841-1931) and her husband William Franklin Burks (d. 1877) moved their ranching operation to present-day La Salle County in 1876. After her husband's death, Amanda continued t
The Amanda Burks School

Cotulla Cemetery


Land for this cemetery was first given by Joseph Cotulla, the town's founding father. The earliest marked grave is dated 1882. Numerous graves bear the date 1886, when smallpox struck La Salle Coun
Cotulla Cemetery

Cotulla City Park


Polish immigrant Joseph Cotulla (1844-1923) migrated to present-day La Salle County in 1865. The town of Cotulla, founded in 1882, became the county seat in 1883, and Joseph donated land for the co
Cotulla City Park

Capt. Jasper N. Daniel


(Oct. 16, 1830 - Aug. 4, 1901) A Georgia native who migrated to Austin County, Texas, in 1853, Jasper N. Daniel was elected to the State Legislature in 1859. During the Civil War (1862-65), he was
Capt. Jasper N. Daniel

Encinal Presbyterian Church


This church was organized in 1908 by the Rev. Dr. M. W. Doggett, an evangelist for the Presbytery of Western Texas. Two years later, during the supply pastorate of the Rev. Harry W. Hamilton, membe
Encinal Presbyterian Church

William Ferdinand Evans


(Jan. 14, 1831 - Jan. 13, 1917) Born in Louisiana, W. F. Evans moved to Polk County, Texas, in 1850, and to Gonzales County in 1856. During the Civil War (1861-65), he served on Galveston Island
William Ferdinand Evans

First Baptist Church of Cotulla


In 1882 Joseph Cotulla, founder of the town, gave land for the Baptist Church building. About 1883 or 1884 a missionary, the Rev. W. D. Johnson, organized this fellowship. The congregation worshipe
First Baptist Church of Cotulla

First Presbyterian Church of Cotulla


On September 4, 1884, the Rev. W. W. Killough, a visiting pastor, established this Presbyterian congregation. Members worshiped in the Methodist and Baptist churches before erecting their own churc
First Presbyterian Church of Cotulla

The First United Methodist Church of Cotulla


The first Protestant church in Cotulla, this congregation was organized in 1881 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first services were held in the home of John Freeman by the Rev. W. H.
The First United Methodist Church of Cotulla

La Salle County


The Presidio Rio Grande Road brought travelers to this area for centuries. In 1852 the U. S. Army built and garrisoned Fort Ewell, for protection. The first permanent settler, William A. Waugh, ope
La Salle County

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers

Old La Salle County Postcards