If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


South Park High School

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

South Park High School
 Beaumont Jefferson County Texas

South Park High School

Built by the South Park Independent School District in 1922-1923, this structure also housed classes of South Park Junior College for ten years. Renamed Lamar Junior College in 1932 and Lamar University in 1971, the college institution moved to its own campus in 1942. South Park High School remained at this location until 1986, when it was merged with West Brook High School and this facility became a junior high school. South Park High School represents both the past and future of education in Beaumont.

4500 Highland Beaumont, Texas

Jefferson County

Year Erected: 1988

Marker Type: 18" x 28"

Jefferson County Markers

  <<  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  >> 

Arceneaux House


Typical "daubed" house in which lower walls are plastered with moss, mud and sassafras strips. Built by Moise Broussard about 1856 when he brought to it his bride, Mary Gadrac Arceneaux, great-grea
Arceneaux House

Site of Old Aurora


Laid out in 1835 on land grant from government of Mexico to Horatio M. Hanks. At least 160 blocks were planned. After the Texas Revolution, Banks' partner and agent Alamazon Huston sold first 15 lo
Site of Old Aurora

Beaumont


County seat of Jefferson County. Settled in 1825 as Tevis Bluff; incorporated as Beaumont Dec. 16, 1838. Early trading post, riverboat port, lumber, rice and ranching center. Near site of Spindleto
Beaumont

Beaumont


--
Beaumont

Beaumont


--
Beaumont

Beaumont: Lumber Mill City of the Nineteenth Century


Beaumont, situated in forests, was a timber town at birth, and marked this site "Steam Mill Square" on its original plat. By 1840, Lucien Hopson had a saw pit on a canal to the south, floating in l
Beaumont: Lumber Mill City of the Nineteenth Century

Beaudreaux House


Built by A. Mobray for Sevan Broussard, 1859. Occupied continuously by family. "Dog-trot" style, typical of period. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Beaudreaux House

Central Fire Station


This structure was built in 1927 to house the Beaumont fire Department. Organized in 1881. Designed by the architectural firm of Livesay and Wiedemann, the building was constructed on the site of t
Central Fire Station

Jean Baptiste Chaison


(August 7, 1745 - July 20, 1854) Jean Baptiste ("Jonas") Chaison was born in Nova Scotia, of French parents. After imprisonment by the British during the French and Indian War, he and his parents
Jean Baptiste Chaison

City of Sabine and Sabine Pass


The first known settlers in this area were John McGaffey and Thomas Courts, who arrived in 1832. Sam Houston assisted Manuel de los Santos Coy in acquiring a land grant here in 1833. Two years late
City of Sabine and Sabine Pass

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers