If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


Scholz Garten

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

Scholz Garten
 Austin Travis County Texas

Scholz Garten

German immigrant August Scholz (1825-1891) opened Scholz's Hall at this site in 1866. About the turn of the century, this building replaced the original hall. A German social club, the Austin Saengerrunde, purchased the property in 1908 and added the adjacent hall. The Texas Legislature honored Scholz Garten in 1966 as "a gathering place for Texans of discernment, taste, culture and erudition, epitomizing the finest traditions of magnificent German heritage in our state." Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967

1607 San Jacinto Austin, Texas

Travis County

Year Erected: 1967

Marker Type: Medallion & Plate

Travis County Markers

  <<  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  >> 

George W. Sampson Home


Former confederate Army Captain and leading Austin merchant George W.Sampson (1825-88), Married Mary Goodwin Hall (b.1845), niece of Gov. Edmund J. Davis. Their wedding in 1872 was the first held
George W. Sampson Home

Robinson Home


N/A
Robinson Home

Robinson-Macken House


Built in 1876 for the family of Elizabeth and John Robinson, Sr., this two-and-half-story farm house is fine example of the Second Empire style of architecture coupled with Italianate detailing. Loc
Robinson-Macken House

Pease School


Pease School

William Green Hill House


Tennessean William Hickman Hill settled in Austin in the 1850's.He and his family became cultural and civic leaders. A grandson, William Green Hill (1853-1903), his wife Ella Lone (Sanders) had this h
William Green Hill House

Austin High School, Rio Grande Campus


In Edwin Waller's 1893 plan for the City of Austin, two blocks were set aside for a school at Rio Grande and 12th Street, then called College Avenue. The Austin School Board in 1881 authorized the use
Austin High School, Rio Grande Campus

Central Christian Church


In 1847, Eight years after the City of Austin was platted, ten members of the Disciples of Christ Brotherhood met to organize this congregation. Although early records of the church are scarce, it is
Central Christian Church

First United Methodist Church of Austin


In 1840, shortly after Austin was incorporated, the Rev.John Haynie (1786-1860), a Methodist circuit rider from the Mississippi Conference, led 14 members in forming this fellowship. They worshiped at
First United Methodist Church of Austin

Smith-Clark-Smith House


When the State Capitol burned in 1881, Scottish-born James Baird Smith (1843-1907) cleared the site and erected a temporary statehouse nearby. Salvaged bricks and stone, which he used to build this re
Smith-Clark-Smith House

Mauthe-Myrick Mansion


Rafael Mauthe (1802-79), A German stonemason built this house in 1877 on land purchased from the noted architect Abner Cook in 1856. Mauthe's wife Mary (d.1898) lived here after his death and manges
Mauthe-Myrick Mansion

Go to the Next Page for:

More Texas Markers