Main crossing on Old Jasper Road and alternate crossing on Opelousas Trail from Liberty through Beaumont to Louisiana. Used as early as 1750, route followed Indian traces and was highway for explorer-settlers, priests, soldiers, trades from Spain, france and Anglo-America. Ferry's most important use was as cattle crossing on famous Opelousas Trail rom 1820s to 1900. Herds came this way to bypass the streets of Beaumont. Although others ran it during 1831-1950 career, ferry took its name from John Collier family who operated it for 50 years.
Year Erected: 1968
Marker Type: 18" x 28"