ABERDEEN, TEXAS (Collingsworth County). Aberdeen, in northeastern Collingsworth County, was a division headquarters of the Rocking Chair Ranch . The town was named for the earl of Aberdeen, one of the British owners, and planned in 1889 to be the nucleus of this ranching enterprise. A post office was granted in December of that year with Henry J. Nesper, a ranch foreman, as postmaster. M. M. French, an agent for the Rocking Chair, purchased the tract and formed the Aberdeen Townsite Company in January 1890. A hotel and a blacksmith shop were constructed on the site, and by 1891 Judge Edward H. Small was operating a supply store for the cowboys. Small also served as the local physician and banker, and later as postmaster.